Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday Sketch 9/23/12

This weeks Sunday sketch is the last of my rose pickings in the neighborhood.

 
There are barely any roses about anymore...
 aside from me picking them! 
 
The Montauk daisies aren't blooming yet, but
I can't wait till they pop out:)
 
 
I'm going to have to start looking out for some marigolds
or mums to paint in the mean time.
 
 I journalled about a wonderful mediation group I went to this morning with a friend.
It was such a pleasure and felt like I got to clear my mind and shake out the cobwebs.
Plus it was just an amazingly beautiful day, the sky was the brightest blue!
Go check out the other Sunday sketches by visiting this link!

 I got some artwork in this past week,
I was able to complete this mermaid illustration for a swap.
Thankfully I was able to scan that and have a good copy to keep. I have been having such trouble with my scanner:( I like how the way she holds her conch shell turned out to look like she is on a cellphone.
 
I remembered this time to take photos at different stages.  I liked how the flowers from the sketch book overlapped so I thought I would do the same with a patch of seaweed and bubbles.
Then I traced the image onto the watercolor paper by covering the
back of the sketch with graphite and then tracing over the front.
I know... I'm so hi tech ;)
 
 
 
 

 
I am happy with the quote and was lucky to find a good one.
There aren't that many out there related to mermaids...
 
Have a terrific week!
Take care:)
 
 
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

19 comments:

Janet said...

I like your mermaid and the quote. Her hair is great...I always hate to draw hair.

Unknown said...

Hi janet! thanks for the compliment:) Hope you are doing well and had a good summer!

Serena Lewis said...

Great job on the mermaid! I love your journal page too ~ :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Serena!

carol l mckenna said...

Quote is wonderful! And your art work is so colorful, creative and happy ~ Delightful work ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

such pretty sketches today, love your mermaid, the scales especially!

Kate Robertson said...

Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I popped over to see what you were doing too. I just loved the mermaid you've done. It was wonderful seeing your process too.

Kate

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

She's a beauty and love the spunky quote too. Blessings!

Tammie Lee said...

so very lovely
your details are charming as can be

Debbie said...

the rose is gorgeous and the mermaid is so pretty!

Nora MacPhail said...

She's adorable. And your rose is very bright and cheerful.
Happy Painting.

Tracey FK said...

that mermaid is great and the quote is perfect... but my favourite part is the conch shell "cell phone"... I am now madly truing to think how I cold make mine look like that... how funny would it be... xx

Lorinda.C.F said...

Utter gorgeousness. love her red hair ;-) xx

Rita said...

Love your fear of shallow mermaid with her conch cell phone!! :) :)

Alexandra MacVean said...

Your work is fabulous, Fran. I LOVE love your mermaid. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the kind comments:)

GalleryJuana said...

Beautifully drawn mermaid and your journal pages are inspiring!

Cameron said...

I adore this mermaid with all my heart, Frances! She had me smitten at first glance...the quote is just perfect, too!

Thank you sooo much!!

Wini said...

Hi Frances, I have been looking at all the art you have been creating lately. Its fabulous! Love the mermaid you created and thanks for sharing the process!